10/8/12

Dwelling Place


A long time ago, when I was a small child in Children's Church, I remember singing this little song:

"Into my heart, into my heart,
Come into my heart, Lord Jesus,
Come in today, come in to stay,
Come into my heart, Lord Jesus."

As an adult, I've heard people say that it's not best to tell children to "ask Jesus to come into their hearts" because it might scare them, since they can't really understand the concept. I don't remember it frightening me one bit. I actually remember it comforting me! Certainly, I'm no expert, and this post is not about child evangelism...but I want you to know that in a sense, that little song is exactly right!

Truth #3 - You are a dwelling place for the Holy Spirit.

Does Christ come "into your heart"? Well, yes! He actually makes your entire body His home!

Read 1 Cor 6:19-20 -

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

Then, Gal 2:20 says  -

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

And lastly, Col 1:27 says -

"To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory."

Think about it...before Christ went to Heaven, He told His disciples that it was good and to their advantage that He go away (see Jn 16:7). Why would He say that?! Because the Holy Spirit was coming!!

If you are a born again believer in Jesus Christ, having asked for forgiveness of your sins and having committed your life fully to Him, then you have the Holy Spirit dwelling...residing...living...on the inside of you!

Isn't that exciting?!?!

What reassurance, knowing that God, in Spirit form, is ALWAYS with us!

When you wake up to a sink full of dishes...He is there. When you forget to give the kids lunch money (again)...He is there. When you head out the door to run errands for the day...He is there. When the lies of the enemy come at you from every angle...He is there. When you walk into a room full of your greatest critics...He is there. When you're standing at the pinnacle of your life's greatest accomplishment...He is there. When you lay your head down at night, exhausted from another busy day...He is there.

He is there...in every moment and every situation...because you carry Him with you into every circumstance of your life.

You, my friend, are the very dwelling place of God.

The question is...do you tap into His power or do you try to handle things on your own? 

Think about that today.

(We'll discuss it next time!)
_______________________

Need to catch up on this series? Please visit the links below: