2/9/12

I'm Human and Weak; He is not!


Just the other day...I sat outside in the play fort with my oldest daughter. It was such a beautiful day, it just begged to be enjoyed! We took all of our homeschooling books outside, climbed to the highest part, and proceeded to get down to business. After studying about grasslands, photosynthesis, perimeter, and such, it was time for a break. Princess #1 climbed down to play, I leaned back against the wooden slates, and
before I knew it, I was fast asleep!

Earlier in the day, the girls and I had already been to their homeschooling co-op classes, out to lunch with friends, and to the park, so I was exhausted! And in just a few hours, I would be at the church, decorating for our monthly night of worship for women (NOWW).

Homeschooling takes a lot of effort. Running a ministry and writing a blog takes a lot of effort. Parenting takes a lot of effort. Running a household takes a lot of effort. Marriage takes...you get the picture!

After all of these "efforts", wow, sometimes I just want to collapse! Obviously, sometimes I do:)

But you know what, I wouldn't have my life any other way! Do you know why? Because even though I'm tired sometimes, I know my tiredness comes from doing those things I feel CALLED to do, which means it is all a joy rather than a burden. I could be spinning my wheels doing anything and everything and just find myself going in circles. A few years ago, I was doing just that, until I realized I was doing lots of things for all the wrong reasons! There is, obviously, a major difference between doing what God compels you to do and doing stuff just to please others! He can bless and move even through wrong motives (grace!), but there's just something special that happens when you join the Father in the work He has specifically positioned you for...and I know that makes complete sense to you if you've found that specific work for yourself. If you haven't, seek Him for it...He wants to show you!

And being tired, well, that just proves I'm human...weak and in need of my VERY powerful Father!!! I know that I can do all things THROUGH HIM and that I pretty much accomplish squat without Him. Remember, Jesus placed Himself inside the confines of a human body. He too got tired. Wasn't he sleeping on the boat when the storm came up? Didn't He retreat and go off by Himself a good bit? He needed alone time to pray, he needed to sleep and recharge...to take a Sabbath rest, but He DID those things and the remainder of the time He went about doing those things the Father had asked of Him.

There are times that I get so tired, I am tempted to think that I must have missed God. Surely, He doesn't want me to be tired, right?! Yeah, silly me...He KNOWS I will get tired.

The Bible says:


 "Even youths grow tired and weary, 
   and young men stumble and fall..."


Getting tired folks, that's part of the package deal we get with being human. When ministry at home and elsewhere gets to be too much, God knows that and He expects us to use our common sense and rest (like He did) . We need to get alone with Him and let Him recharge our batteries or we will be good for no one. But then, when recharged, we need to get back out there and run the race, fight the good fight, and throw some punches for Jesus with Jesus by our side! And then...well, we'll get tired and we'll need to rest again:) It's a cycle, a delicate balance, that must be learned in order to effectively stay in the game and persevere.

I can't say that I've reached that perfect balance yet. Obviously falling asleep in the play fort when I needed to be working on supper wasn't the greatest...but hey, I'm human! And God, He's showing me lots of grace as I try to learn to handle the things He has placed in front of me. His yoke truly is easy and His burden light (Matt 11:30)!

----------------------

"And as for you, brethren, do not become weary or lose heart in doing right [but continue in well-doing without weakening]." 2 Thes 3:13

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]." Matt 11:28

"But those who wait for the Lord [who expect, look for, and hope in Him] shall change and renew their strength and power; they shall lift their wings and mount up [close to God] as eagles [mount up to the sun]; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint or become tired." Isaiah 40:30-31


Linking up at:


For His glory,